The simplest way to describe the Dropoff ball is the ball carrier runs across the park and hits a man coming back on the inside of him, watch the following video to see what I mean[private]
Set out a channel around 10 meters wide with 2 lines of players behind cones on opposite sides of the channel. Start with all the balls on the left, 1st ball carrier sets off straight and then setps right across the drill towards the other side of the channel, the other player stes the opposite way and runs behind the back of the ball carrier. The Ball carrier needs to disguise the pass as much as possible and turn towards the man running back on the inside and offload the ball to him at pace.[flashvideo filename=videos/dball.flv /]
- Players go straight first and then step to ask questions of defenders
- Ball carrier turns towards the runner so that he is insight all the time
- Make sure the runner has targets up to receive the ball and looks up to see what his next option is once he has the ball in his hand.
EXTENDING THE DRILL
- Introduce gates into the channel that the runners must go through, this helps them to run the correct lines before you add in defenders (Use 2 cones to make each gate)
- Add in a defender half way down the channel to put preassure on the ball carrier
Can you think of any other ways to advance this one or do you have a question or comment? Please post them below.